- After submission of your university application, you will be required to submit your high school transcripts, your ACT/SAT test scores (not required for 2021/2022 because of COVID-19), and an application fee before being considered for academic review.
- Register for one of the audition dates below.
2021–2022 Audition and Open House Dates (In-Person)
The audition is designed to give our faculty members a comprehensive view of your technical and creative abilities and help them learn about your background and interests in the dance field.
- Friday November 12, 2021 – Open House; Saturday November 13 – Audition Register
- Friday February 4, 2022 – Open House; Saturday February 5 – Audition Register
- Saturday January 22, 2022 – Audition in Chicago (Dovetail Studios) Register
The audition consists of:
- Technique portion with ballet, modern and African dance.
- Solo composition showing a piece you have choreographed. The solo, no more than three minutes long, should be designed to demonstrate your creativity and show your abilities as a performer. We are not interested in seeing technical tricks as much as seeing your individuality and sense of self in your performance. The solo can be performed in silence or with music.
- Interview with faculty.
Notification of Results
Regular Admission Deadline: January 5, 2022
Admission Notification: Mid-February 2022
If you audition before March, you will automatically be considered for a Talented Student Tuition Award. March applicants may be eligible also if funds are still available. These awards are granted to auditioning students who demonstrate an unusually high level of talent and potential, and they cover four years of study in our program, provided the recipient remains a student in good standing. These awards are applied directly toward your tuition bill and cannot be applied toward fees or charges for room and board. Other awards, scholarships, grants, and loans are available, and employment opportunities through the Federal Work-Study Program and on and off campus can help you fund your education. Get more information from the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Transfer students are welcome to apply. The audition process is the same as the one for entering freshmen. The length of study for transfer students is determined on an individual basis and depends on technical level, rate of technical and creative development, and number of transferable courses.
Online Video Auditions
Fall 2021 and Spring 2022
We highly recommend attending your audition in-person if possible. If you cannot make it to a live audition, or if COVID protocols change and the State of Illinois goes back to phase 3 or 4, we will be conducting auditions online. You may submit your online auditions following these instructions.