To be eligible for admission to the BFA or BA program, you must complete the university application and audition for Dance at Illinois. Once you have completed both steps, the Office of Admissions and the Department of Dance make a joint decision regarding your acceptance into the BFA or BA program.
- Complete the university's online application. You will be required to submit your high school transcripts, your ACT/SAT test scores (not required for 2021 because of COVID-19), and an application fee before being considered for academic review.
- Register for one of the audition dates below.
Online Video Auditions During Fall 2020 and Spring 2021
Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting auditions online during the fall and spring semesters. You may submit a video audition by following these instructions.
The audition is designed to give our faculty members a comprehensive view of your technical and creative abilities and help them learn about your background and interests in the dance field.
2020–2021 Audition and Open House Dates
Saturday, November 7, 2020: November Prospective Student Virtual Event, 1–3 p.m.
Saturday, January 30, 2021: January Prospective Student Virtual Open House, 1–3 p.m. (CST)—register
Dates subject to change.
The online audition consists of:
- Technique portion with ballet, modern technique, and African-house.
- Solo composition showing a piece you have choreographed. The solo, no more than three minutes long, should be designed to demonstrate your creativity and show your abilities as a performer. We are not interested in seeing technical tricks as much as seeing your individuality and sense of self in your performance. The solo can be performed in silence or with music.
- Interview with a faculty member once we have received your audition videos.
How to Dress
Please wear dance clothing that shows the lines of your body, such as leotards and tights or dance pants for women and a t-shirt and dance pants for men. If you have long hair, it should be pulled back. You will need ballet slippers for the ballet combinations and bare feet for the modern portion of the audition.
Notification of Results
Regular Admission Deadline: January 5, 2021
Admission Notification: Mid-February 2021
If you audition before March, you will automatically be considered for a Talented Student Tuition Award. March applicants may be eligible also if funds are still available. These awards are granted to auditioning students who demonstrate an unusually high level of talent and potential, and they cover four years of study in our program, provided the recipient remains a student in good standing. These awards are applied directly toward your tuition bill and cannot be applied toward fees or charges for room and board. Other awards, scholarships, grants, and loans are available, and employment opportunities through the Federal Work-Study Program and on and off campus can help you fund your education. Get more information from the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Transfer students are welcome to apply. The audition process is the same as the one for entering freshmen. The length of study for transfer students is determined on an individual basis and depends on technical level, rate of technical and creative development, and number of transferable courses.
"Teaching was always my passion and the dance department gave me the tools and knowledge I needed to grow our school to nearly 400 students in 5 years."
—Andrea Fenwick Trench (BFA 2004), co-owner of Elite Dance Academy